Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Hey! You're not John Cusack!

I have not been watching The Bachelorette (though I have seen a few clips on The Soup), but I came across a quote in Jennifer Armstrong's Bachelorette recap for Entertainment Weekly:
The thing about wild romantic gestures is they look really embarrassing and dumb unless they come from someone you want to be doing them. Then suddenly they go from stalkery to sweet. (Imagine any guy you don't like doing anything John Cusack has done for love in his various movies. Yep, John Cusack would be a stalker if he weren't John Cusack.)
I suppose that's what makes grand romantic gestures such a gamble. A guy has to know whether or not you see them as John Cusack or... pretty much anyone else. In the meantime, I'd settle for some small romantic gestures: flowers, a mix CD, a handwritten note... In such non-romantic times as these, a guy can score big points pretty easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment