Tuesday, September 15, 2009

doublethink

My bookshelf is overrun with books, and many of them have never been read. A relatively small percentage of the books have been read about 30% of the way through them. This is because I get off track. I pick up a new book without finishing the other one first. This might be fine, but I cannot read two books at once without some rather unfortunate plot blending. Recently I realized that I have not been a very good reader, so I am working on it.

Right now I am almost halfway through George Orwell's 1984. I purchased this book a few years ago, I believe. I don't remember the exact circumstances surrounding the purchase. I vaguely recall thinking that it was a shame that I made it through high school and college without ever reading it. It stayed on my bookshelf with the other candidates until it came to my attention again. Sometime last month I decided to write my own 1984-like story based on the current political climate. I began writing notes and key phrases for the story in a little notebook. It soon occurred to me that I should probably read the source material. 1.) I like to give credit where credit is due, and 2.) I did not want to accidentally steal ideas from Orwell which may have made their way into the public consciousness (and therefore into my consciousness).

I'm quite engrossed in this novel. My dreams of late have even been tinged with a Big Brother vibe. It's strange how I have been able to keep on track with this book--so far, anyway--when plenty of other worthy books sit on my shelves unread or one-third read. As a kid, I loved to read. I read with a competitive desire to be The Best Reader. (In third grade, I did receive multiple trophies from the school librarian.) I still love books and reading, but I haven't made it a priority in recent years. I have amassed a pretty nice book collection, I claim to love reading, yet I do not spend much time reading. I love to read, but I do not read. Perhaps this is one reason why 1984 is speaking to me; I engage in doublethink.

No comments:

Post a Comment